Legal proceedings regarding consumer purchases

This is a print of a page on Look for the most up-to-date information on ( This page is printed on 01-01-1970.

Skip Navigation LinksEnglish > Dutch legal proceedings > Consumer purchases

Have you purchased a product and now have a dispute with the retailer? If you are unable to reach an amicable solution, you can initiate proceedings before the district court.

These types of claim fall under consumer law (civil law).

Is something wrong with a product that you have purchased as a consumer? If the retailer is unwilling or unable to give you a replacement product and/or has not offered you any compensation or not enough compensation, you can initiate proceedings.

Initiating extended proceedings

In extended proceedings (also known as bodemprocedure – proceedings on the merits of the case), you request the district court to give a final ruling. It is not compulsory to engage the services of a lawyer.



Initiating urgent proceedings

Do you need your case to be heard urgently? And are you unable to wait for the ruling in extended proceedings? In urgent proceedings (also known as kort geding – summary proceedings), you apply to the district or civil court to issue an interim decision (in Dutch)

Urgent proceedings before the district court

Lawyer not mandatory

There is no obligation for you or your retailer to engage the services of a lawyer.

Lower costs (court fees)

  • You only pay court fees if you are the claimant
  • Court fees are lower than in the civil courts

Urgent proceedings before the civil court

Lawyer usually required

  • If you are a claimant, you must use a lawyer
  • Your retailer, as the counterparty, is only obliged to use a lawyer if the retailer wishes to file a counterclaim

Higher costs (court fees)

  • You and your retailer each pay court fees
  • The court fees are higher than at the district court


You pay a fee for the court to hear your case: this is known as griffierechten (court fees). There may be additional costs associated with a case, such as lawyer’s fees.


Legal advice

Would you like personal advice on your situation? Do you need assistance with drafting documents or during the hearing? You have the option at all times to engage the services of a lawyer or other legal advisor.

Contact the Rechtspraak Service Centre

Social media

Ask your question on:

volg ons op X (Twitter) X (Twitter)

Be careful when you share private information on social media.


We are open from Monday to Thursday from 08:00 until 20:00, and on Friday from 08:00 until 17:30.